October 2019

October 2019

Sunday, September 29, 2019

DISCOUNTED PEACHES AND SLOW COOKER JAM

I think this is the first post I've written for the blog in FOUR years.  So much has happened in our lives as a family in that time.  I'll probably share in dribs and drabs in future posts, but writing is one of my favorite things to do.  I knew I'd be back sooner or later.  So, without further ado.....



Let's talk discounted produce.  Shall we?  The Money Saving Mom, Crystal Paine, is one of my favorite bloggers to follow (but I'll get to that another time) and has shared so much on her site about how to save money at the grocery store.  One of my favorite tips from her is the marked down produce shelf tucked away in every Kroger grocery store.  It's just a tiny wooden bookshelf, really.  It varies from store to store, and I've scouted out the "good one" in our town.  Usually, you can depend on finding very ready-to-freeze bananas for an even lower price, but I'm looking for the $.99 red mesh bags. Each bag, no matter what is inside costs the same $.99!  I mean....AWESOME! Sometimes they are chock full of jalepeno peppers, in which case, I move on.  Other times, like this week, I stumble upon a real find!  I found three mesh bags on that little bookshelf FULL of pretty good looking peaches! Did they have a few bruises? Absolutely, but I saw potential.  I had big plans for these discounted peaches.  Jars and jars of jam to gift and share with loved ones this holiday season would soon be underway!

I quickly googled and found this simple slow cooker recipe for Peach Jam.  I gathered the few ingredients and got to peeling, chopping and removing all of the bruised bits. In no time, everything was in the slow cooker and the smell in my kitchen was increasingly becoming more delicious as the minutes passed by.  It took about 5 hours before it was ready to jar.  That gave me time to sterilize the jars and lids, and have everything ready to go for finishing up this project. I borrowed some canning tools, and they helped tons! The magnetic lid lifter was a huge help when the lids, deep in boiling water wanted to hang out at the bottom of the pot.


Voila!  Just like that, under $3 of peaches turned into six yummy gifts for the friends and family who make up our outstanding village of loved ones.  The recipe was so easy to put together and very momma friendly on a Sunday full of laundry, errands and getting ready for the week ahead.  I highly recommend you keeping an eye on the discounted produce at your local grocery store!  You just might happen on some peaches!


No comments:

Post a Comment