October 2019

October 2019

Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Itchy Pink Blanket

As in most of our country today, it is a chilly afternoon in Florida.  I'm finding that it is far chillier here than I could have ever imagined.  I was under the false impression that we would be spending our days basking in the sunshine, perfecting our sun-kissed glows beach-side while sipping freshly-squeezed orange juice each day, all year round.  Um.....yeah, no.  It gets cold here.  Maybe the number isn't as low as places farther north, but it just feels colder here.  I was scammed by Florida, but I still like it and forgive it.  

You know what?  I'll admit it.  I'm somewhat glad to have a bit of winter here.  I've always lived in a four season climate, and I would have missed wearing my gray hooded sweatshirts and snuggling all of my soft, warm blankets.  Anyone that has spent considerable time with me knows my love of blankies.  If I am at home or even in the car, there is always one close at hand.  Out of all of the many I hold dear, my favorite is one that wouldn't be chosen out of a lineup.  It's old, itchy wool, faded and misshapen from my poor laundering skills, and I LOVE it.  

Before it found it's home, resting on the back of my desk chair, it was my nana's.  It kept her warm in bed during cold New England winters.  When she passed away, it somehow made it's way to me.  With tears in my eyes as I type this, and my lap covered warmly in her blanket, I am grateful to those who save things.  For a person like me, it's such a gift.  I have items in my home that belonged to and remind me of each of my grandparents.  So, before you toss that old, warm blanket...think of mine.





No comments:

Post a Comment