October 2019

October 2019

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My trusty home calendar

Do you have one?  I didn't, but I cannot tell you how vital it has become to my day-to-day life.  If it's on the calendar, it happens.  If it isn't on the calendar, it doesn't.  So, things like laundry, dishes and everyday things are on there, as well as, above and beyond things that are important to me.  Recently, Valentine completion was on the list, and reseting our guest bedroom made it, too!  If you are a homemaker, and still winging it, I encourage you to give this strategy a go.  

I use a simple month-at-a-glance desk calendar upon which I make my bulleted list.  Of course, you may like a book-style planner, or some other format.  Whichever you choose, stick to your list.  Do not rest until you have checked off each item.  Now, that brings up a great point.  When planning your week, and selecting your intended tasks, be realistic.  I know that my son will nap each day for about 2 hours, and I plan accordingly.  Any baking or kitchen tasks can easily be done while he is awake.  We actually have lots of fun in the kitchen together.  I plan tasks that involve my complete attention for his nap time.  For example, ironing napkins or an important sewing project.  

Also, in being realistic, don't bite off more than you can chew.  Divide lengthy tasks up over the course of a few days.  An example that comes to mind is the recent Valentine mailings I mentioned earlier.  The first day, I held a brief photo shoot with my son.  The next day, I edited the photos and selected the one to send off for printing.  The following day, I procured the cards at the grocery store and picked up the photos.  And on and on, until each was addressed, stamped and mailed off to beloved family and friends.  Having each of those small tasks separated and listed on my calendar ensured that they would happen, and that it was a relaxing and fun experience for both the giver and the receiver.  How do you plan your days, and stay focused on what's important to you?

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, I need to get a month at a glance desk calendar. I used to have one, and reading this makes me miss it. Now, I even have an appropriate place to put one! Good tips, too, because I get stressed out by putting to many things on my calendar and not getting them checked off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me, write in pencil. That way, if you can't check it off of the list you can erase it 😉

      Delete